- Worker gets $12,000 over wrongful dismissal
- Salad bar worker unjustifiably dismissed by text message
- Auckland company fined after worker finger tip
- Woman fired while on sick leave awarded compensation
- How can you ensure that your business doesn't face huge compensation payments?
- Give your HR processes a FREE diagnostic right now:
- Need some help filling the gaps in your HR processes?
Have you noticed how many headlines there are in the NZ Herald at the moment about companies that have fallen foul of employment law?
Getting it wrong can be extremely costly, as the examples below show.
And notice how these articles are all from August 2013… there are a lot of businesses paying compensation at the moment:
Worker gets $12,000 over wrongful dismissal
Employers did not follow the correct procedure when terminating the employment of a woman in Tauranga. The employers have been ordered to contribute $6,000 towards lost remuneration and a further $3,000 as compensation. 9 August 2013.
Salad bar worker unjustifiably dismissed by text message
The employee was awarded $6,000 in compensation for distress and humiliation, because the employer unjustifiable accused them of theft. 19 August 2013.
Auckland company fined after worker loses finger tip
A worker was awarded $25,000 after losing the tip of a finger in an accident that has been described as “avoidable”. 15 August 2013.
Woman fired while on sick leave awarded compensation
The company didn’t believe that the employee was sick, and didn’t follow the Employment Act in dismissing her. The employee was awarded $2,500 compensation. 22 August 2013.
How can you ensure that your business doesn’t face huge compensation payments?
The best way of ensuring that your business doesn’t face these avoidable fines is to make sure that your HR procedures are in order.
Give your HR processes a FREE diagnostic right now:
Take Recruit NZ’s free DIY HR audit, and discover what you’re doing well – and what’s leaving you wide open to expensive legal claims.
It’s free to do and obligation free – and it will take you just 7 minutes.
Go on – spend a few minutes doing this now. It could save you thousands of dollars in the future.
Need some help filling the gaps in your HR processes?
If you’re worried gaps in your HR processes are leaving you vulnerable, contact Recruit NZ today. We’ve got solutions that will suit businesses (and budgets) of all sizes.
There’s no excuse for having gaps, when there are easy, quick and cost-effective solutions available right away!
Contact our friendly team today to discuss your needs.
Contact us to find out how we can help your business.
Latest posts by Tanya Gray (see all)
- Why outsource recruitment to experts: A strategic move for business success - February 14, 2024
- Embracing diversity and inclusion: A guide for NZ business owners - February 13, 2024
- Building a winning team: Essential hiring tips for NZ business owners - February 6, 2024